Monday, October 17, 2011

Betsy-Tacy and Tib and Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill by Maud Hart Lovelace




1941, 1942
Source: Library

I'm just amazed while reading these books how different the times were! In all of the books so far, the children get to roam around the neighborhood, and somewhat do what they want. And, it was perfectly normal and acceptable. My childhood and my children's childhoods have been so very different than that. Maybe it's different in some parts, but it's just so dangerous out there these days. Not just because of creeps, but because we're all just in such a hurry, so there's roads everywhere, and therefore speeding cars. I'm sure time AND place have a lot to do with it, though. (I'm not talking about general yard type roaming....) ;)***
I do love my modern conveniences, and I'm thankful to God for putting me in the time and place that I am, but reading books like these always make me see some of the things younger generations are losing. Times were so simple in many ways(but harder in others).

Betsy-Tacy and Tib is by far my favorite of the first three books! There were two stories in this book that really made me laugh! They were just so incredibly cute!

One is when the girls decide to cut each others hair. This story really reminded me of one of my childhood adventures. I didn't have any friends persuading me, though. I saw my momma getting a haircut, and naturally I decided I needed a haircut, too! I have very short hair in my kindergarten picture.

"They went to Betsy's house first. And when Betsy's mother saw them she shrieked. Grownups don't often shriek, but that was what Betsy's mother did.

'Betsy!' she cried. 'Tacy! Tib! Whatever have you done to yourselves!'

'We've cut off out hair,' said Betsy.

'But why? What for?' cried Betsy's mother.

'To remember each other by,' said Betsy."


Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill read as one big story as opposed to the first two books, which seemed more like lots of little short stories. It wasn't as cute as the first two, but I guess that's to be expected. The girls are growing up and their stories are growing with them. I still enjoyed it, though, and I'm still looking forward to seeing how the girls grow up. While I still have the most in common with Tacy, I'm starting to relate more and more to Tib. I like how she seems a bit embarassed by some of the things Betsy and Tacy do. That reminds me of myself when I was younger.

I had to send my library books back, so these were the only three I got to read. I do have one more post in the works, but this will be my last review for now. I definitely plan on finishing the series as soon as I can, though. I'm just too curious how the characters grow up to not. I shouldn't have checked them all out at the same time. My plan was to have them for a month(re-checking them out at 2 weeks), which is what I did. I didn't read them those first two weeks, though. :P

If you'd like to participate in this year's challenge, it's not too late! Just go to the Maud Hart Lovelace Challenge Page and link up at the sign-up post. Make sure you say I sent you, because it gives me an extra entry in this week's giveaway, which I REALLY want to win. ;)

***I came back to put this in. I'm guilty of bad wording so much!! When I was talking about yard roaming, I don't want to take away from the importance of simply that. It's more than my kids will get for a long time with where I live! I had edited out a chunk of my post up there, so I realized with what I did post, it looked like I was saying that yard roaming was nothing. Not what I meant! ;)



5 comments:

  1. I just finished reread BT&T and am now rereading Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill. I thought BT&T was really cute, too. :)

    I hope you get a chance to read the rest of the books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll probably end up ordering the last ones. I may have to check at an out of town library. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you point out here in the beginning -- that we're all just so BUSY and that there are roads EVERYwhere. I wonder what we can create and hold onto "from the past" for our children to enjoy in the present. The idea of playing outside without being watched over. Exploring. Building. THinking. Dreaming. These are all things that I think are important not only for my children but for the future of society. If these books take us back to that and make us fight to maintain some of that, then I'm all for them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It IS so important! It's so hard where I live to allow any independence at all. My daddy was always EXTREMELY protective of us, and I have a hard time not being the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent post! Thanks so much for helping to spread the word about these great books. It's a pleasure to have you aboard the reading challenge this year. :)

    ReplyDelete