Monday, September 26, 2011

Veiled Rose by Anne Elisabeth Stengl




Bethany House (July 1, 2011) 394 pages
Source: Review copy from Bethany House

Description from Amazon:

Rose Red trusts no one with her secret. She hides in the forest, her face veiled in rags, shunning the company of all save her old father and her nanny goat. Her life is bleak and lonely.

Until she meets a privileged young man sent to spend his summer in the mountains. Leo, a lonely lad, befriends Rose Red, and together they begin hunting for the Mountain Monster which, rumor says, stalks these lands.

But the hunt which began as a game holds greater risk than Leo supposes. Rose Red can scarcely guess at the consequences should he insist on continuing his search. Dare she trust him with her secret? Or tell him what dwells at the top of the mountain in the cave only she can find?

Above all, when Leo asks Rose Red to leave the mountain and follow him to the low country, dare she agree and risk the wrath of a Monster that is all too real?

My Review:

It took me a little while to get into this book. It moves quite slowly, but once it did grab my attention, it kept it. It's under 400 pages, but it seemed long. It felt like I had to read forever to get to the end. That's not necessarily bad, though. I was just so incredibly curious what was hidden under Rose Red's veil that I couldn't get to the end quick enough.

I felt like I was missing details. At times I was really confused, and didn't know who characters were suppose to be. I had to go back and re-read some parts, but still remained confused. This is the second in the series, and I haven't read the first one, so that may be the reason for confusion. I do plan on going back to Heartless, and I can't wait to read the final book next year. From my understanding Veiled Rose goes back in time from Heartless.

Contrary to what it looks like, I loved this book! It thrills me that fantasy books are sometimes published as Christian books, and it gives those that only read Christian book a chance to enter into the world of dragons and fairies and all. I get to read my favorite type of book without worrying about profanity. This book can be read perfectly fine by those who do or don't read Christian books.

I really loved Rose Red's character, and the mystery surrounding who she is. Her and Beana are probably the only characters that I really like right now. I'm very much looking forward to what part they play in the next book.

If I didn't know there are two other books in the series to tie together, I would have hated the ending. It was just heartbreaking!

Veiled Rose was just a beautiful book! You should definitely pick it up, and enter into a wonderful (and horrible) world of dragons and princesses.

*I was provided a review copy from Bethany House in exchange for my honest opinion.

3 comments:

  1. What a great review. I've been wanting to try this series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a beautiful book! I highly recommend going back to Heartless - everything will probably make a lot more sense, and it's so awesome to see the big picture! :) Sooo excited for Moonblood! I love how unique this series is!

    Juju, I highly recommend it, too! :D

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Juju-
    You should definitely give it a chance!!

    Amber-
    I agree that it's unique. I read a good bit of fantasy type books, and this one definitely stands apart!

    ReplyDelete