Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Monster in the Hollows by Andrew Peterson




Rabbit Room Press (May 2011) 348 pages

Source:
Christian Science Fiction and Fantasy Blog Tour review copy

Description from Amazon:

Book Three of The Wingfeather Saga
Janner Wingfeather's father was the High King of Anniera. But his father is gone. The kingdom has fallen. The royal family is on the run, and the Fang armies of Gnag the Nameless are close behind.

Janner and his family hope to find refuge in the last safe place in the world: the Green Hollows--a land of warriors feared even by Fangs of Dang. But there's a big problem. Janner's little brother-heir to the throne of Anniera-has grown a tail. And gray fur. Not to mention two pointed ears and long, dangerous fangs. To the suspicious folk of the Green Hollows he looks like a monster.

But Janner knows better. His brother isn't as scary as he looks. He's perfectly harmless.

Or is he?

Join the Wingfeathers on an adventure filled with mystery, betrayal, and sneakery in a land of tasty fruits. There's a monster on the loose and the truth lurks in the shadows.


My review:

I really wanted to read the first two books in this series before diving into Monster in the Hollows, but I had to get real with myself and realize there just wasn't time. I do have On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness and North! Or Be Eaten, but they didn't arrive at my house until the end of last week. I knew I couldn't read three books in a weekend, especially in the middle of preparing for a birthday party!

It was hard to start this one, though, without all the knowledge of what the Wingfeather family had already been through. Monster in the Hollows is not a standalone book. You can read it by itself, but its obvious that you've missed out on lots of things. That is not a complaint in the least. I have full intentions of going back and reading the first two to fill in all the little details I missed. I actually hate reading a series and having the next book spend half the story explaining what happened in the other ones. I really appreciate the fact that this one seems to start up where the last one left off. That said, I wasn't lost. I got just enough details.

This is a series for young reader's, but there's beauty in the book that can be greatly appreciated by adults.

It was as if the churn of the Dark Sea had abandoned the waters and left them calm, only to inhabit the eyes of Nia Wingfeather. When Janner looked up at her he saw sorrow, pain, and fear passing over her face like colliding waves, stirring the deep waters of rememberance. More than ever, Janner believed. He believed because to his mother Anniera wasn't just a story, but a memory. She had walked there with the man she loved. She had given birth to her children there. For a while, she had lived and breathed the legend of the Shining Isle.

If the other books are as great as this one, and I imagine they are, I recommend grabbing them all, and starting from the beginning. Just take a look at all the great reviews on Amazon. Almost all of them are 5 star reviews! This is a well loved and treasured series, and I'm thrilled that we now have it waiting for my boys in a few years! The final book will definitely be added, too. I can't wait to read the first two and the last one!

Book link

Series Web site

Author’s Web site


*I was provided a review copy through the Christian Science Fiction and Fantasy Blog Tour in exchange for my honest opinion.

Please take a look at what other reviewers on this tour are saying!


Gillian Adams
Red Bissell
Jennifer Bogart
Thomas Clayton Booher
Beckie Burnham
CSFF Blog Tour
D. G. D. Davidson
Cynthia Dyer
Amber French
Nikole Hahn
Ryan Heart
Timothy Hicks
Jason Joyner
Julie
Carol Keen
Shannon McDermott
Rebecca LuElla Miller
Mirriam Neal
* Eve Nielsen
Joan Nienhuis
Donita K. Paul
Sarah Sawyer
Chawna Schroeder
Tammy Shelnut
Kathleen Smith
Donna Swanson
Rachel Starr Thomson
Robert Treskillard
Fred Warren
Phyllis Wheeler
Nicole White
Rachel Wyant

4 comments:

  1. Great review. I am often hesitant to skip books in the series, but you are so right sometimes there just isn't enough time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your review, Tammy. It's great to get the perspective of someone who has NOT read the other two books. That helps people interested in getting in on the fun know where they should start.

    I suspect you just might want to re-read Monster after you've read the first two.

    And by the way, several people on the CSFF blog tour have mentioned that this series would make great family read-aloud books. I think that's an outstanding idea. For years I read Narnia books to my classes, and this has the same kind of storyteller ease about it that I think listening to the books would be as enjoyable as reading them.

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I noticed that the linky disappears after a new one is added. Thanks for the tip. I didn't know there was another kind of linky to use. So far no one has added a link, but when they do I'll have to look into the one you used. Or everyone will just have a week to check out the links.

    ReplyDelete