Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Thicker Than Blood by C.J. Darlington



Tyndale House Publishers (December 17, 2009) 400 pages

Description from Goodreads:

Christy Williams finally has her life on track. She’s putting her past behind her and working hard to build a career as an antiquarian book buyer. But things begin to unravel when a stolen Hemingway first edition is found in her possession, framing her for a crime she didn’t commit. With no one to turn to, she yearns for her estranged younger sister, May, whom she abandoned after their parents’ untimely deaths. Soon, Christy’s fleeing from her shattered dreams, her ex-boyfriend, and God. Could May’s Triple Cross Ranch be the safe haven she’s searching for? Will the sisters realize that each possesses what the other desperately needs before it’s too late? A stunning debut from the latest Christian Writers Guild winner.

Mt Review:

Thicker Than Blood ended up being much darker than I anticipated! It's definitely not my normal type of read.

I think it's important to know that this is not a romance book. It is a beautiful story of forgiveness on many different levels.

Christy was a bit different than most leading ladies in Christian Fiction I read. She's a chain smoker and an alcoholic. I don't drink or smoke, so I didn't exactly connect with her. I did have sympathy for her and liked her well enough, though. Towards the end of the book, something is revealed that disturbed me so bad I had to walk away from the story a bit. There are parts of the story that are hard to read! It's definitely not light and fluffy.

The bad guy of this story was the meanest I've ever read about. As I mentioned ealier, this isn't my normal type of read, though.

I found the antique books part of the story absolutely fascinating! I just adore old, antique books! I could spend days in any type of bookstore, but especially an antique bookstore. C.J. really brought Dawson's Book Barn to life in my mind. I could smell the books!

I really enjoyed most(minus the hard parts ;) ) of this story and I can't wait to read Bound By Guilt!

4 comments:

  1. This is definitely not a "fluff" read. I really enjoyed the bookstore setting too! Nice review. :-)

    XOXO~ Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks for reading and reviewing my novel Thicker than Blood. I absolutely love hearing what readers think of a story. Yours was an insightful one. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm halfway through Bound By Guilt. I'm loving it so far!! I've never been as surprised as I have been by it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, fun! I'm glad you're enjoying BBG too. And it's always good to know when sometime surprises a reader. :) I look forward to hearing what you think when you're done.

    ReplyDelete