Thursday, August 11, 2011

My First Hands-On Bible





Amy @ Hope is the Word hosts the weekly meme, Read Aloud Thursday.


Tyndale Kids (July 1, 2011) 416 pages (Ages 4-8)

I love that this storybook uses actual Bible text. So often when Bible stories are re-written, the author adds, takes away, or totally re-writes what actually happened using common misconceptions about stories. For example, the three wise men. The Bible never said there were 3. There could have been 2, maybe 10. We don’t know. And, Jonah and the whale. The Bible said it was a big fish. It may or may not have been a whale at all. The list could go on and on!!
I didn’t notice any of the common misconceptions while reading through My 1st Hands-On Bible. I’m not a Bible Scholar, so I’m not saying you won’t find any!

There are 85 stories included, and each one has “handprints” that alert the parent/child of an activity to do or something to say.

For example:

Exodus 20: 7

“You must not misuse the name of the Lord your God. The Lord will not let you go unpunished if you misuse his name.”

Then the handprint with that verse says:

“God said not to do things that show we don’t respect him. Shake your head no three times.”

Numbers 13:3

“So Moses did as the Lord commanded him. He sent out twelve men, all tribal leaders of Israel, from their camp in the wilderness of Paran.”

Handprint:

“How many spies can you count on this page.”

There’s all kinds of different things that accompany the handprint.

Then at the end of each story, there’s 3 various types of activities, a prayer, and a “Jesus Connection.”

One of the activities at the end of “Wise Men Visit Jesus” is a Treasure Hunt.

“Play a game with your child by taking turns hiding a special object. The person who hides it will hold a hand up like a twinkling star to guide the other person to the treasure. Discuss how God sent a star to show the wise men how to find Jesus, the greatest treasure of all.”


My First Hands-On Bible is like a Bible storybook with a parent/teacher's guide.

I’m not overly familiar with the New Living Translation Bible. I know that with each translation there’s good and bad. So far, I have loved what I’ve read of it, though. This edition of the Hands-On Bible is obviously for younger children. There’s an edition for older kids, too. I’m planning on getting my hands on one of those, also. I’m thinking one of the two would make perfect gifts for my nephews and niece!

In case you couldn’t tell, I highly recommend this book! ;) I LOVED it!!!!!

*I was provided a review copy from Tyndale in exchange for my honest opinion.

2 comments:

  1. Hadn't heard of or seen this one. Thanks for the heads up about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently purchased the My First Hands-On Bible as well as the Hands-On Bible for both of my children. We all love it! Many of the reasons why we actually share with Amy. Age appropriate, Bible text with easy to incorporate activities. I am also purchasing these for our children's ministry at church. They will love it!

    ReplyDelete