Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Emily of Deep Valley by Maud Hart Lovelace




Harper Perennial Modern Classics; Reprint edition (October 12, 2010) 336 pages

Description:

Emily Webster, an orphan living with her grandfather, is not like the other girls her age in Deep Valley, Minnesota. After graduation, she longs to join the Crowd and go off to college—but she can't leave her grandfather alone at home. Resigning herself to a "lost winter," Emily nonetheless throws herself into a new program of study and a growing interest in the local Syrian community, and when she meets a handsome new teacher at the high school, Emily gains more than she ever dreamed possible.


Emily of Deep Valley was my introduction into the world of Maud Hart Lovelace. In the past, I've enjoyed Amish books because they bring me into a world of simplicity. I've tired of Amish books at the moment, so I'm thrilled that these books bring me into that same world of simplicity!

I connected very easily with Emily. I could too easily see myself having the same feelings and thoughts through a great deal of the story. I think the big difference would be her great debating skills. My mind freezes up comepletely on display that way. Also, she lives with her grandfather, and I lived with my parents before getting married. I connected so much with Emily that even though this is my first book to read of Maud Hart Lovelace, I can't imagine it not being my favorite. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

The writing is so just so simple and sweet that it sometimes comes off a bit corny. ;) I still find it incredibly charming, though!

"Climbing to a stool at the soda fountain, she caught a glimpse of an attractive-looking girl and smiled, and the girl smiled, too, looking more attractive than ever. Emily saw, with amazement, that it was herself. The new headress gave her a winning air of maturity."


Christmas is celebrated through a small portion of the book, and it now has me smelling my Apple Spice candles that always come out during the holiday season.

"In the little house across the slough there were holidayish things to be done. Emily picked greens from her own hillside and wove them into wreaths for the windows and made a decoration for the table of hemlock boughs and pine cones. She had long since baked her fruit cake. Now she baked Christmas cookies and a mince pie, too, for although they always went to Aunt Sophie's for dinner, she liked to have a mince pie in the house."


My copy(Thanks Annette) of Emily of Deep Valley has extra information about the characters in the back. Lovelace based the characters of the Deep Valley books on actual people, and I find that incredibly fascinating! I also find myself wanting to know more!!

I'm also really looking forward to the Maud Hart Lovelace Challenge hosted by A Library is a Hospital for the Mind in October.

I absolutely adored this book!!

3 comments:

  1. YAY!!!!!! I thought you would! Now you can get into the Betsy-Tacy series for the reading challenge in October! Get ready!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My library has the first three and Betsy was a Junior. I'll have to check with a couple of out of town libraries!! I'm thinking I'll get a head start, so I can read through as many as I can before the end of October.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm participating in the Maud Hart Lovelace Challenge as well and I couldn't decide whether to read one of these newly re-released titles or if I want to go back and start again with Betsy-Tacy. Hmm hmnm hmm...

    Glad to know you liked this one too!

    ReplyDelete