Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Asking For Trouble by Sandra Byrd



Tyndale House Publishers (March 18, 2010) 272 pages

Description from Amazon:
When her family moves to London, 15-year-old Savvy Smith has to make her way in a new school and a new country. She just knows the school newspaper is the right place for her, but she doesn’t have the required experience, and the cute editor-in-chief is not looking to train anyone. She has to come up with a way to prove herself and nab the one available position on the newspaper staff at Wexburg Academy.
London Confidential is a new series where British fashion, friendships, and guys collide, and where an all-American girl learns to love life and live out her faith.

My Review:
In my teen years I read lots of Sweet Valley High books. I don't think there's anything wrong with them, but I do wish I had known of books like these! I would have gotten so much more out of them, along with just having fun reading. I would have been more encouraged to read of other teen girls praying and studying their Bible. I did have encouragement in other ways, but my reading material could have been better.

Asking for Trouble is definitely geared towards teen/tween readers, but I had fun reading it, too. I don't like when authors "dumb down" their writing for young adult books. I guess I've gotten to the age where I just can't tolerate those books. Sandra does such a wonderful job of capturing the voice of a teenager without without making me feel too old! ;)

Savvy is such a lovable character! She doesn't always do the right thing immediately, but she does come through. And, I love that Sandra wrote her parents likable, too. So many times in teen books, parents just aren't what they should be.

If I had a teen/tween daughter, I wouldn't hesitate to buy these books for her! Asking for Trouble was a wonderfully sweet, encouraging book, and it's my favorite Christian Teen book I've read so far!

*Thanks to Sandra and Operation Encourage an Author, where I won this copy of Asking for Trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment