Monday, July 18, 2011

The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

Chronicles of Narnia Reading Challenge






Although I never officially joined, as part of the Narnia Reading Challenge, I have decided to finally actually read the Chronicles of Narnia. I have to admit if not for this challenge, I wouldn't be reading them now. I've saw some beautiful posts about the books and C.S. Lewis, so I just have to know about Narnia myself!

In the past, I've bought a couple of the books when I found them for almost nothing, and I hate that they have barely survived a couple of book clean-outs. They did survive, so I'm glad of that! :)

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is such a beautiful story! I was vaguely familiar with it, since I've saw two different versions of the movies at different points of my life. Actually reading the book brought about a whole new experience, though! I got very emotional while reading it, and I didn't expect to in the slightest way. Carrie, the host of the Narnia Reading Challenge, posted about her experience reading the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe to her oldest and how emotional she got. (Click HERE for that post). Well, I assumed that the emotions would come once I understood the series a bit more. Nope! This is the scene where I realized I couldn't even see the words on the page.

"No," said Aslan. "I am sad and lonely. Lay your hands on my mane so that I can feel you are there and let us walk like that."

And so the girls did what they would never have dared to do without his permission, but what they had longed to do ever since they first saw him-buried their cold hands in the beautiful sea of fur and stroked it and, so doing, walked with him."


Just beautiful! Most of the symbolism in this particular book was pretty obvious, I think, which explains the emotional part. I am looking forward to browsing through other books to see what symbols I know I missed.

I also love how the book reads. I could very easily picture Mr. Lewis in front of a fireplace telling this story to a group of children. It's not written like an actual book.

"But such people! Ogres with monstrous teeth, and wolves, and bull-headed men; spirits of evil trees and poisonous plants; and other creatures I won't describe because if I did the grown-ups would probably not let you read this book...."

And, I just adore the letter at the beginning of the book. I definitely picture Mr. Lewis as a grandfatherly figure(at this point, anyway). I'm really looking forward to learning more about why he wrote the books and about Lucy.

I now have a better grasp of why children should be introduced slowly to this story. I know parts of it would have very much scared and disturbed me as a child! It's the same way with the Bible, though. I know some of the events of the Bible need to be introduced very slowly. Please know that I'm not trying to actually compare the Bible with any story written by man(without the inspiration of God). There's just no comparison to God's Word! :) I am very much looking forward to sharing this story with my boys someday, though!!

I have had such a lovely time reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and finally getting a bit better acquainted with Narnia. I'm now very glad that I have set aside time to read the rest of the series. I have all review books ahead of schedule, so I can't wait to read more!!

7 comments:

  1. I'm grinning very widely right now!!! =)

    That's about all I safely say. =) THESE types of reading experiences and introductions into the world of Narnia are the reason I host the challenge. THIS IS IT! You made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very glad you and the other Narnia fans around your blog encouraged me to read this series! I was really missing out! :) I will have to look back and see who it was(Cindy, I think) even stopped by to encourage me to read the series. I knew it had to be special! (And it is).

    ReplyDelete
  3. My oldest son is 8 and he LOVES the Narnia series. I can think of no better novels to hand over to him at this age!! Welcome to the world of Narnia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my all time favorite series to read. Again and again and again.
    I hope you enjoy the rest! The Magician's Nephew and The Horse and His Boy were always my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I first read the books about 12 years ago and I am reading them again (as many as I can get through this month) for the challenge. Such a special tale! I enjoyed your review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After my husband had read this to our sons multiple times I decided I needed to know what all the fuss was about. I'm so glad I finally read them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you enjoyed it...along with all the books in the series, this is one of my all-time favorite books, and I re-read the series regularly!

    Cindy @ Cindy's Book Club
    and Notes in the Key of Life

    ReplyDelete