Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Promise of an Angel by Ruth Reid



Thomas Nelson (May 31, 2011) 304 pages

Description:
In Mescota County, Michigan, an angelic visitor's words inspire Judith to a future she never imagined. After a barn raising accident, Judith Fischer’s convinced she’s met an angel. However, her attempts to convince others end up frustrating her Old-Order Amish community. Only Andrew Lapp believes her, but the rest, including Levi Plank, the man’s she’s waited to marry, demand she forget the nonsense. Meanwhile, her younger sister Martha has taken a fancy to Levi and sees her sister's controversy as a perfect distraction for turning Levi's head.

In a dream, the angel tells Judith she must choose her path. As her faith continues to grow, so do her feelings for Andrew. Will she continue to place her hope in the angel’s message, even if it means losing all she knows and loves?

My Review:
This wasn't my favorite Amish book that I've read so far. I just didn't like the angel aspect of the story like I thought I would. Tobias, the angel, just didn't have a realistic reason for "meeting" Judith at the edge of the woods so much. It would have been more believable if it was kept to only the first time he appears in the story.
I normally like reading Amish stories to get lost in the simplicity of their lives and their love for each other. I didn't get either of those with this story. It mainly focuses on Judith, Tobias, and everyone treating her very cruelly, with the exception of Andrew. I just didn't like most of the characters, not even at the end.
I don't agree with most of what the Amish believe. I like reading about what I DO like about them, though. The Promise of an Angel gives you a look at the bad side of the Amish community.
If you love reading Amish book, I say definitely give this one a try. I did read it quite quickly, so it kept my attention easily. If you don't like Amish books or have never read them, I'd probably pass this one by.

*I was provided a review copy through the Booksneeze program in exchange for my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment