Friday, May 13, 2011

Larkspur Cove by Lisa Wingate



Bethany House (February 1, 2011) 360 pages

My Review:

The two main characters in this story alternate between the chapters. Andrea, a child counselor, is a newly single mom, with a teenage son. They are both struggling to adjust to life after a divorce. Andrea is also attempting to deal with her parents, who as much as they are trying to help, make Andrea feel like a child. She is also hurting at the fact that her son is growing up and doesn't need her quite so much.
Mart is a game warden who comes to Moses Lake to try and forget the death of his brother and nephew. The two of these characters meet when the town tries to figure out why Len, a man who isn't completely mentally there, has a young girl with him.

I had saw a couple of reviews saying this was a light read, but from the descriptions I saw, I just thought maybe their idea and my idea of a light read was different. Surprisingly, though, this really is a light summer read. There is suspense, mystery, and of course, some romance. I could look into my future and relate to Andrea's struggles with letting her son grow up. :) Not really, but I know I will have those struggles with my little boys.

Parts of this story were heartbreaking for me. Two things that will tug at my heart the most are children and elderly. Lisa did a great job of pulling at my emotions with both subjects. The story VERY slightly reminded me of Christy, by Catherine Marshall. This was my first read by Lisa Wingate, but I'm looking forward to reading some of her other books now!!

*I huge thanks to Jim Hart at Bethany House for my review copy. I was not required to give a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment