Monday, May 9, 2011

Entwined by Heather Dixon



Greenwillow Books (March 29, 2011) 480 pages

Description: (from Goodreads)
Azalea is trapped. Just when she should feel that everything is before her . . . beautiful gowns, dashing suitors, balls filled with dancing . . . it's taken away. All of it.

The Keeper understands. He's trapped, too, held for centuries within the walls of the palace. And so he extends an invitation.

Every night, Azalea and her eleven sisters may step through the enchanted passage in their room to dance in his silver forest.

But there is a cost.

The Keeper likes to keep things.

Azalea may not realize how tangled she is in his web until it is too late.


My Review:
I LOVED this book!!! It was just a beautiful story, and I am incredibly impressed that this is a debut novel. I will definitely be keeping my eye on any of Heather's future novels.

I'm not familiar with the story of the 12 dancing princesses, so I can't say how well Heather stuck with the story or how much was elaborated, but I loved it either way. Entwined has quickly made its way onto my list of favorite books...ever, not just this year. I didn't want to put this book down. At almost 500 pages, it's pretty long, but I still hated to see it end. I wanted to keep reading about the sisters. This is a romantic fairy tale, but to me it seemed more about family than romance. It was very sweet to see the relationships growing between the sisters and the king(their Father).

The sisters are named after flowers and named in aphabetical order. Azalea is the main character, and then I would say Bramble next, and then Clover and so on. The younger they get, the less important role they play in the book. I thought it was a great change of pace that Azalea isn't considered beautiful. If I remember correctly, only two of the sisters are described as beautiful by the author. While I haven't (YET) read a lot of fairy tale retellings, I thought this book was unique and kept me turning the pages!

Was it clean?

Yes! I am thrilled that this story can be enjoyed without the worry of profanity or sex scenes. I am so grateful to the author for not taking away from the beauty of story with all that unneccessary "stuff." As mentioned earlier, there is romance in the story, but nothing detailed by any means. Three of the sisters are of marrying age, so there is the search for husbands within the story.
The only warning I have is if you or your child is spooked extremely easily, there's some creepy parts. Nothing drastic, but there's mention of an evil, magical person capturing souls and sewing their eyelids or mouths closed. There's also mention of an oath that requires drinking a person's blood. I would definitely say this is a suspenseful fairy tale for young readers.

*I was provided an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.

6 comments:

  1. Wow I love this cover, it's totally gorgeous! I'm so glad that the story is worth reading and that you enjoyed it. :-)

    XOXO~ Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to admit that the cover is what made me want to read it in the first place. :) I'm glad I did, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so excited to read this! i agree, the cover is what sold me on it : ) i bought it a few weeks ago and it's waiting in my "to read" pile. it's based off a children's book "the 12 dancing princesses." i'm curious as to the similarities...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw in a review after I read it that it's somewhat similar to Jessica Day George's The Princess of the Midnight Ball. I haven't read that one yet, so I don't know. I have it on my "to-read" list now, though. :)
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who judged it by it's cover before reading. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished reading this.

    AWESOME!

    Like you, I could NOT put it down. I think this is a FABULOUS read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this book, too. I always pick up books withwonderful covers, so don't worry. I think the 12 dancing princesses is my favourite fairy tale to read retellings of. If you like retellings, you should check out the series Once Upon a Time, whick is written by various authors. I have a bunch on my blog, http://need2read9.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete