Friday, March 11, 2011

Plain Wisdom by Cindy Woodsmall and Miriam Flaud




WaterBrook Press (March 15, 2011) 240 pages

Description:
Two friends from different worlds—one Old Order Amish, one Englischer—share the truths that bring them together.

Best-selling novelist Cindy Woodsmall might seem to have little in common with Miriam Flaud, a woman immersed in the culture of Old Order Amish. But with nine children and almost 60 years of marriage between them, Cindy and Miriam both have found the secrets to facing life with strength and grace. Whether enduring financial setbacks, celebrating new babies and times of prosperity, grieving the crushing losses in the deaths of family and friends, or facing disappointments with their respective communities—through it all they find guidance for each day by looking to God.

With poignant recollections, unexpected insights, and humorous tales, the two women welcome you into their unique friendship. You’ll also gain a rare glimpse into the traditions and ways of the Amish as Miriam recalls special occasions and shares family recipes throughout the book.

Plain Wisdom is a heartwarming celebration of God, womanhood, and the search for beauty that unites us all. So grab your cup and your quilt and settle in for a soul-comforting read with Plain Wisdom.

My Review:
I was really looking forward to reading this book!! I've only in the past year started reading Amish fiction, but I'm very much intrigued by their lifestyles. I don't share very many of their beliefs, but I like the simplicity of their lifestyles. I think we all desire a bit more of that.(with electricity, of course)!

Plain Wisdom was a bit different than I expected it to be. I thought it would read more like a conversation between the two women, but each one wrote up a short story on a certain subject and that was a chapter. Each chapter was usually 2-3 pages. I think I actually like this way better than what anticipated, though.
It was very interesting to learn more about the Amish way of life, and more about Cindy. There are bits of wisdom scattered all through this book. I say "bits" simply because they kept each lesson short and sweet. More than anything, you can take what you want from the stories. There's also some Amish recipes after some of the chapters. I wish there were more of these, but I know this isn't a cookbook, so that's not a complaint. I've learned from the recipes in Plain Wisdom that I have to get me some Amish cookbooks. I'm all about simple recipes!! :)

Overall, I greatly enjoyed reading Plain Wisdom, and thought there was lots of humor, wisdom, and thought provoking stories.

***I received this ARC copy from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion.

6 comments:

  1. I've read a little bit of this book, and like you, I like the short chapters. :o)

    Have you read any of Cindy's other books? Her first series is my absolute favorite for Amish fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the short chapters!! It's very easy to catch a chapter here and there.

    I have that series, but I haven't read it yet. I had been waiting to get the last one before I started it. About a month ago I found the 3 in 1 book, so hopefully, I'll start reading that series soon. I've heard it's great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annette read this book as well and seemed to walk away with the same impression as yourself: not exactly what was expected but enjoyed nonetheless. I'm definitely curious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you signed up with the Blogging for Books program? That's where I got this one. You get to pick from several books that they have up at a time. I'm not sure this one is still there, though.
    It's bloggingforbooks.org.

    It was very enjoyable, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book looks interesting.

    I'm so glad to hear you're thinking about homeschooling. We use a lit-based program which is lots of fun :)

    Are you on the daily countdown yet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've been debating for awhile, but we still have a few years to decide for sure. :)

    Only 45 more days!! Probably a little less, though. We're so ready! :)

    ReplyDelete