Saturday, January 1, 2011

My Favorite Reads of 2010 and New Goals for 2011




My Goals for 2011


For Bluerose’s Heart

When I originally started this blog, it was to throw out some clean reads for those like me. I LOVE reading young adult books, but I don’t care for the bad content in many of them. Lately, though, I’ve committed to so many Christian book reviews, I just haven’t had the time to read some of the books I really want to read. I’m the type of person that craves certain types of books at different times. Sometimes I want to read a good young adult paranormal, sometimes I crave a story about prairie life. I’m hoping to get back to my original plan with my blog and alternate to some degree between my different genres.
Along that same line, most of you who read my blog know that I am surrounded by boys! :) I have a son and another on the way, and 5 nephews with another on the way. (and only one niece). So, I’m hoping to throw out more clean reads in the boy direction.
My plan is to really blow through my review books in the next couple of weeks, so I can start with more books in the “clean reads” category.

I also plan on really getting hardcore with my thriftiness! So, I will post about some of my projects that I attempt. I’m researching thrifty ways to create curtain rods at the moment, so hopefully I’ll post about that project soon.
And most of you know about my son’s speech therapy, so I plan on posting some of the projects and crafts we are working on , and how we’re doing it thrifty. :)

I’ll still mostly be a “book blog” but I will include more posts dealing with family-life from now on.

Other Goals

In life outside my blog, I mostly have the same goals.
-Cut back on review books and read what I really want to read. Don’t get me wrong. I have absolutely been loving the books I’ve been reviewing, and I’ve discovered lots of wonderful authors, but I’ll just be cutting back . I have no intentions whatsoever of stopping my reviews for Christian books.
-Start getting WAY more serious with being thrifty. Although I’ve always been on the thrifty side, I could use a lot of improvement.
-Get on a better schedule with my family, which means set meal times, play time, nap time, cleaning schedule, etc. The only SET in stone type of routine we have right now is night-night time. (I don't want our whole day set in stone, just a little more structure).
-Get organized!!
-Exercise and take care of myself. I want to be a good example to my children and have the energy to run around and play with them.
-And most importantly, read my Bible more. I want to start giving God the time He deserves. I want to do better at devotionals and talking with God.

I’ve really slacked lately, and I hope 2011 will just in general be more more organized!



My Favorite Reads of 2010

These are in NO order at all. I’ve read lots of great books this year, but I think these are the top ones I want to re-read. I hope I didn't forget one! :)Oh, and my list is books I've read in 2010, and several of them were NOT published in 2010.




Masquerade by Nancy Moser



Tailor-Made Bride by Karen Witemeyer(If I had got to read Head in the Clouds, I’m guessing it would be on here, too).




Latte Daze by Erynn Mangum
This book was just fun to read, and I can't wait to read Double Shot




The Charlatan's Boy by Jonathan Rogers



A Passion Most Pure, Redeemed, and Denied by Julie Lessman. A Hope Undaunted is still at the top of my non-review pile, or I know it would be on here, too! I just lumped all these together, though.





Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier
LOVED this book!!!!!!!



The Owl Keeper by Christine Brodien-Jones



A Bride in the Bargain by Deeanne Gist



Somplace to be Flying by Charles de Lint
Due to profanity, this is not one of my clean reads, but this is a book that has really “stuck” with me. I’m looking forward to reading one of his young adult book in hopes the language is better. It has been awhile since I read it, but I don’t recall the language being THAT bad, and there was no other issues.




House of Dark Shadows by Robert Liparulo
Those of you who read my review may remember that this book really creeped me out, but I just can't wait to finish reading this series.

5 comments:

  1. The House of Dark Shadows looks interesting.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you need to be more thrifty with books or in another way?

    I rarely buy fiction for myself. And I like to give away my review copies (giveaways, church, friends-including nonChristians).

    I totally understand that you need to cut back on reviews to just enjoy reading again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These days I rarely spend money on books. If I really want a book, I'll try to swap for it on swap.com, but otherwise I'll just wait to see if I find it used somewhere. I've really lucked up at yard sales and flea markets!! :)
    I'm mostly just wanting to get thrifty with my decorating and projects, coupons and all. I used to be hardcore about the coupons and all, but I got a bit lazy towards the end of the year. I've got to get back on track.
    And I usually give away a lot of my review books unless I really want to read it again. I have lots of family that loves to read, too.
    I see all these challenges around that I would love to join in, like the LM Montgomery one, but I know I probably won't get the chance to read for it. I've only did two challenges and did bad at them!! :) I'm definitely looking forward to some of the books I have lined up for my leisure reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoo-hoo, girl, I got home from a cruise and just now saw your list -- THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I pray blessings galore for you and yours in 2011.

    Did you ever get my reply about the pix? If you could send me several good shots of both your son and grandma, I will be happy to return them when Keith is done.

    Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. A cruise!!! :) I hope you had fun!

    Thank you! I pray the same for your family. You're one of the sweetest people I've ever "met." :)

    I've got my momma hunting up some more pictures of my grandmother. I wanted to make sure y'all had a variety (in hopes that one would work) before I mailed them. So I'm waiting on her. I'm going to send this to you in e-mail, too, to make sure you know.

    ReplyDelete