Saturday, January 22, 2011

Movie Review: Anne of Green Gables

L. M. Montgomery Reading Challenge

As part of the L. M. Montgomery Reading Challenge, my first post will be for Anne of Green Gables, the movie.



My Review:
I decided to go ahead and write my review for the first movie before I’ve read the book, but I will come back and add any extra thoughts at the end of this review when I’ve finished the book. I was unfortunate enough to fail my 1st sugar test, so Monday I get to endure the 3 hour test. On the bright side, that’s 3 hours of almost uninterrupted reading time. My hubby is going to stay home with the munchkin, so I will just stay at the office for the the test. I’m hoping to read at least a big chunk of Anne of Green Gables then. Lord willing, I’ll definitely finish it before the end of the challenge. (And for the record, I decided to read the book as opposed to listen to it on audio).

I checked this movie out from the library, so there’s no telling how many people had watched it before me. Needless to say, the quality was horrible on the first one. I greatly wish I had I better version. It came with 2 VHS per movie, and thankfully the 2nd part was much better and I did like it much better. And I know that has nothing to do with the movie.

When I first started watching Anne of Green Gables, I really wasn’t sure I was going to like it. I found Anne to be extremely over-dramatic and a bit weird. I found the movie to be more hilarious than anything else. But the longer the movie went on, the more I liked Anne. I ended up really liking the whole movie. I’m extremely glad that Anne matured. A LOT!! :) And I couldn’t help but feel sorry for her throughout most of the movie.

The scenery was beautiful. There was one scene where all you could hear in the background was crickets chirping. I loved it!! It was so simple and refreshing and clean. It was a great movie for the whole family. It was a little funny, like all the older movies, to see how fashion and hair has changed through the years.

I do want to point out I didn’t care for the ghost scene. I had read a few reviews, so I was warned ahead of time that L.M. Montgomery wrote of ghosts. I love to read of paranormal type things and I don’t believe it a bit. It normally doesn’t bother me, but I can’t read of ghosts. It terrifies the daylights out of me to hear talk of ghosts. I know if I continue to read L.M. Montgomery, I’ll see more of the ghost subject, though.

After watching Anne of Green Gables, I can’t wait to see more of Anne and Gilbert in Anne of Avonlea, which I hope to watch tomorrow. And I absolutely can’t wait to read the book. I’m excited to read about all the details that a movie has to leave out and compare how well I think the actors were picked to portray the characters.

If I don’t get a review up tomorrow, it will be Thursday before I get it up. I already have book reviews lined up for Monday through Wednesday.

2 comments:

  1. =X on having to do the three hour sugar test. Sorry to hear about THAT!

    I think your perspective on the movie is very interesting and unique seeing that you hadn't read the book yet and had never seen the movie! I enjoyed reading through your thoughts! Thanks for sharing (and for playing along!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I passed it thankfully, and I got in some good reading time(just not what I had originally planned), so it wasn't too bad.

    I'm glad I'm finally not in the minority of those who have never seen it. :)

    ReplyDelete