Sunday, January 23, 2011

Dragons of the Valley by Donita K. Paul




WaterBrook Press (September 21, 2010) 384 pages

Description:
War threatens the peaceful land of Chiril… can one painter-turned-reluctant-swordsman really help?

With an invasion of her country imminent, Tipper Schope is drawn into a mission to keep three important statues from falling into the enemy’s clutches. Her friend, the artist Bealomondore, helps her execute the plan, and along the way he learns to brandish a sword rather than a paintbrush.

As odd disappearances and a rash of volatile behavior sweep Chiril, no one is safe. A terrible danger has made his vicious presence known: The Grawl, a hunter unlike any creature encountered before.

To restore their country, Tipper, Bealomondore, and their party must hide the statues in the Valley of the Dragons and find a way to defeat the invading army. When it falls to the artistic Bealomondore to wield his sword as powerfully and naturally as a paintbrush, will he answer Wulder’s call for a champion?

My Review:

I’ll be honest. I was extremely confused the first few chapters. Then I studied a bit in the glossary at the back of the book. That helped tremendously, and anytime I hit a new word, I simply looked it up. This is the first book I’ve read in Donita’s Dragon series, and this is the 2nd book in this particular series, but I do feel I that I kept up pretty well. I do recommend reading them in order, though. I think I would have gotten a lot more out of this book if I had read them in order. And that’s not to say I didn’t get a little lost through parts of the story after that, but overall, I think I kept up.

I am completely intrigued by dragons. I haven’t read many, if any books about them, though. I greatly enjoyed reading about them, although for the most part, they didn’t show up until close to the end. Rayn is all the way through the story and I just fell in love with him!! Oh, I wish I had a little pet Rayn! :)

Lady Peg was hilarious. I just loved her character!! It was so funny how she seemed so out there. And Fenworth was probably my favorite character. He was just so quirky and I found myself laughing at some of his antics. Wizards are almost always one of my favorite characters, though. The Grawl was a mean creature, and yet I found myself feeling sorry for him at times. I was surprised at that! :)

I think Donita has done an excellent job of creating a series for both male and female book lovers! There’s war and battles, but not overly gruesome, and then there’s a slight romance. The story doesn’t overly go in either the male or female direction. She’s created some wonderful, humorous, and interesting characters.

*In conjunction with the CSFF Blog Tour, I received a free copy of this book from the publisher.


Book link

Author’s web site -

Author’s blog

Make sure you check out all the other reviews of Dragons of the Valley!!

Gillian Adams
Noah Arsenault
Amy Bissell
Red Bissell
Justin Boyer
Keanan Brand
Grace Bridges
Beckie Burnham
Keanan Brand
Morgan L. Busse
CSFF Blog Tour
Amy Cruson
D. G. D. Davidson
April Erwin
Amber French
Andrea Graham
Katie Hart
Ryan Heart
Bruce Hennigan
Becky Jesse
Cris Jesse
Jason Joyner
Julie
Carol Keen
Dawn King
Emily LaVigne
Shannon McDermott
Matt Mikalatos
Rebecca LuElla Miller
Joan Nienhuis
John W. Otte
Donita K. Paul
Sarah Sawyer
Chawna Schroeder
Tammy Shelnut
Kathleen Smith
James Somers
Fred Warren
Phyllis Wheeler
Dave Wilson

10 comments:

  1. I suspected it might be difficult to keep track of all the races and characters in this story if you hadn't read Donita's earlier books, but I'm glad you were able to enjoy it anyway. If you like the dragon elements, you should read her DragonKeeper series--they receive even stronger focus there. Oh, and Wizard Fenworth has a significant role in that series as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I've definitely got to check out the Dragonkeeper Series then!!! You can't beat dragons and Wizard Fenworth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you read Donita's Two Tickets to the Christmas ball? That was the first book of hers I read and I thought it was so charming. It had a nice mix of fantasy and reality. I'm not sure I'm the type of chick who likes high fantasy though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Donita's work. Guess I need to read that Dragonkeeper series too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joy- I haven't read it yet. I won it for my momma, but I've got to borrow it from her. I've heard great things about it.
    This is definitely NOT the book for everyone, but if you like science fiction/fantasy AT ALL, I think you will enjoy it. :)

    Phyllis- You and me both!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. not familiar with this book series. it does sound very interesting. good review. take care rose

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was going to say what Sarah did--if you like dragons, then read the five DragonKeeper books. The first, if I remember correctly, is DragonSpell, then DragonQuest, DragonKnight, DragonLight, DragonFire. Very enjoyable series.

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool review! I like the Chiril Chronicles, too.

    Also, Rebecca, you were very close with the order, except you have the last two flipped: they should be DragonFire, then DragonLight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked your review. Thank you for taking the tie to be a part of the tour. I'm glad you found The Grawl a character who invokes sympathy. We may see him again some day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rose- Thank you! :)

    Rebecca and Avid- Thank you for listing them out. That helps so much!! I sometimes have trouble finding the order books were written, so y'all made it much easier on me. :)

    Donita- I very much enjoyed being a part of this tour!! And I'm very excited that I might get to read more of the Grawl. Again, that surprises me! :)

    ReplyDelete