Friday, January 28, 2011

Double Shot by Erynn Mangum



NavPress; 1 edition (October 29, 2010) 288 pages

Description: (back cover)
Now that Maya Davis is engaged to her longtime friend and sweetheart, Jack, there should be no more worrying about the future, no more questioning God. Everything should be perfect, right? Actually, it’s just the opposite: Things are complicated. Where are they going to live? What kind of wedding do they want?

And when Jack is offered a once-in-a-lifetime job in Seattle, things begin to unravel even more. Can Maya trust that God is in control even when things seem to be a disastrous mess?

My Review:
Cons
-I completely didn’t expect there to be a NICU baby in this book! Needless to say, when the sister in law in the book has to have an emergency c-section @ 28 weeks because the baby is distressed, I was quickly brought back to the day my son was born. I can’t think about that day without crying! That’s pretty much where the similarities ended, though. And from a momma with 3 ½ months NICU “experience“, several things were very questionable to me. My husband reminded me that the NICU we used may have been much stricter than others. Also, I know that no two NICU experiences are the same. And by no means do I think I’m a professional just because of my “experience.” ;) Even so, it was all very distracting from the story for me. Thankfully, most of you won’t have that issue reading this book!

-I was never convinced of any kind of love(chemistry) between Jack and Maya. Their relationship seemed a bit awkward to me. And I would never allow the love of my life to “knucklehead” me!! But we’re all different, and that’s exactly why this same point will show up on my pros list.

Pros
-The characters are real. They are just normal people struggling with finances, insecurities, and decisions. They are imperfect just like the rest of us. Jack works at a zoo, and Maya works at a coffee shop, even though she has an English degree. Real life!

-As I mentioned earlier about Jack and Maya’s relationship, I wasn’t convinced. On the other hand, I love that their relationship shows us all that true couples aren’t all lovey-dovey, knight in shining armor romances. Actually, none are, at least not for very long. It takes hard work to stay in love. For that reason, this makes a great book for especially younger readers, because way too often we read romance books and then have unfair and unrealistic expectations from our mate.

-There are good lessons in this story. Compromise is a major lesson. And the characters are good role models. They are saving themselves for marriage and premarital sex is not even a choice for them. There’s kissing, but the scenes are not detailed in the least bit!! And I’ll point out quickly that in the 2nd book, they never kiss until they are engaged. They pray before EVERY meal. They do Bible studies. I don’t necessarily agree with the method of worshipping in this book, but without more details, I can’t say for sure, so I won’t go into details on that. Again, I especially think this is a great book for younger readers!!

All that said, I did greatly enjoy this book. It was wonderful to jump back into the world of Maya (Nutkin) and Jack. And I surprised myself at how quick I read it. I hate to see it end, especially since the ending does leave you hanging! Erynn Mangum is yet another author that I will keep an eye on. I love her style of writing. I’ve only read two of her books so far, and even though this one contained a very serious subject for me, her books are still lots of fun to read. I definitely recommend them!!

*I received this book for review from Navpress. This is my honest opinion.

2 comments:

  1. I love the cover! I'm glad to hear it's a "realistic" romance too, I like to pick those up every once in a while. ;-)

    XOXO~ Renee
    GO STEELERS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the cover, too. The last two go together, but for some reason the first one was different. :S
    I have a tendency to judge the realistic love stories a little harsher than the sweet ones, so I'm trying hard to get out of that. :)

    ReplyDelete