Saturday, January 1, 2011

An Amish Christmas, Expanded Edition




Thomas Nelson; Expanded edition (August 31, 2010) 528 pages

Book Description:
Enjoy this Amish Christmas bestseller with an additional new novella from romance author Kelly Long.

"Christmas Cradles" by Kelly Long -- When Anna Stolis takes over for her aunt, the local Amish midwife in Paradise, Christmas night heats up with multiple deliveries, three strangers' quilts, and the help from resourceful and strong Asa Lapp, whose job it is to get Anna through a dangerous blizzard to complete her midwifery rounds.

“A Miracle for Miriam” by Kathleen Fuller: This Christmas, Miriam must decide whether to guard herself or accept the love of a man who once broke her heart.

“A Choice to Forgive” by Beth Wiseman: Lydia, a widow who has given up on love, is shocked when Daniel-- a past love-- returns to the Order, and her life.

“One Child” by Barbara Cameron: This snowy Lancaster Christmas Eve will see two couples’ lives changed by the birth of one child.

Contributer Barbara Cameron is the author of fifteen novels and three nationally televised movies (HBO), as well as a recipient of the first Romance Writers of America Golden Heart.

My Review:
I like that all of the stories conected with each other. Some of the same characters showed up in each of them.
The all contained sadness, or moments from the past that had caused pain through the years. There was happy moments, but I do prefer my Christmas stories to be on the happier side. :) I really did enjoy the stories, though, and I think fans of Amsih stories will really enjoy it, too.
I really connected with the story of Miriam. I totally understood her feelings throughout the story!!
I have to share one line from "Christmas Cradles" because it just really touched me!!

"She was breech, Ezekiel," Sarah sniffed. "We could have lost her...but Der Herr...he was with us."
"He is always with us, Sarah," Ezekiel Raber whispered as he stared down at his new daughter. "He gives and takes away, but praise him for giving this night."

That line made me cry! I'm so grateful to be blessed with my little boy!!

Overall, being novellas, there's just not the extra information that sometimes makes a story. They are definitely worth the time to read, though.

*Thanks to Thomas Nelson Publishers for my review copy. This is my honest opinion.

1 comment:

  1. That line also sent a shiver through me. I haven't read the book yet but you did make me feel like curling up on the recliner with a good fiction book once again.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete