Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Very Thrifty Christmas

I know I'm a bit late posting this, but I thought I would go ahead. It will be here for next year. :)

I'm sure I'm like every other stay at home mom this time of year. Money is even tighter than ever!! I made it my goal to decorate my tree without spending a penny on supplies. I have shatterproof ornaments, but I still don't feel safe with them. Not only do the tops come off, and pose a choking hazard, but the little metal "thingys" can be an electrical hazard if stuck in an outlet. As all moms with children know, you just can't watch them 24/7. (A couple of days ago, I saw some "childproof" ornament hangers. I'm not positive those aren't a choking hazard, but I will check more into that). I got to looking around and found a cloth ornament. I have lots of cloth and ribbon from old projects, so this was perfect for me.

alt=""id="BLOGGER_PHOTO_ID_5554042884741232786" />

Here's the link with the directions I used.
Click Here

And I got my patterns HERE.
Scroll to the bottom for patterns. I used the 4 per page size. For a tree, I think the others were a bit big, but these could be used for all kinds of things. The big pattern might make a cute pillow. I will have to keep that in mind for next Christmas. :)

I also want to point out that I learned a lot along the way of doing these ornaments. I plan on making more for next year putting to use the things I learned, but for now, I'll post what I did get done.






I really wish my lights would show up better, because it looks so much better with those on!! Also, as filler, on the top 1/3 of my tree, I put some of my favorite ornaments, so it actually looks cute with all the lights on. :) Next year, I plan on making more. It will look much better with more of them. I also think various colors of thread will make them look SO MUCH better!! I'm hoping to get some clearance Christmas cloth after Christmas sometime, so I think that will also help. I just used what I had for this year. And like the link above that I posted, pinking shears will do wonders for the look of the ornament. I don't have any right now, though. I know mine doesn't look great, but I'm a beginner, and I really think this project has potential. I'm determined if the Lord blesses me with another year on Earth, I will have a gorgeous tree next year. :)

To go along with the thrifty Christmas theme, I wanted to share a few different wrapping options. I have tons of wrapping paper, as I'm sure most of you do, but this is fun. Last year I used comic paper for some of the smaller gifts. Plain newspaper can work just as well. I think it's cute idea if you know a crafter to wrap their present in cloth. For me, though, I have to have a piece of cloth the right size. I don't want to cut up a perfectly good piece of cloth just for wrapping paper.






The first picture is of an angel my momma made years ago. We all thought it was weird, but I just LOVE things like that!! It got passed to me a couple of years ago, so she always comes out at Christmas. :)

And lastly, this year I plan on making my puppy dog this toy. He's always been very good to his toys. I probably wouldn't make it if I thought he'd tear the insides out. Dog toys are very expensive, and we just can't leave him out. He always gets to unwrap a couple of his own presents.

I will attempt those tonight or tomorrow morning before my in-laws Christmas. Christmas day we'll be having a total of 3. We always have lots of fun, though.

I hope all of you have a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Cute ornaments! :)

    Merry, merry Christmas, Bluerose!!!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a nice job!

    My husband got me pinking shears this year...I was excited that he got them for me when they aren't truly "needed" overall, but I know I will use them!

    We also wrapped in some of my daughter's paintings that she brought home from school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww, thank you!! :)

    I get really excited about things like that, too. My hubby thinks it's funny that I get so excited over simple things.

    That's a really good idea with your daughter's paintings!

    ReplyDelete