Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Charlatan's Boy by Jonathan Rogers




Desription: (from Amazon)
As far back as he can remember, the orphan Grady has tramped from village to village in the company of a huckster named Floyd. With his adolescent accomplice, Floyd perpetrates a variety of hoaxes and flimflams on the good citizens of the Corenwald frontier, such as the Ugliest Boy in the World act.

It’s a hard way to make a living, made harder by the memory of fatter times when audiences thronged to see young Grady perform as “The Wild Man of the Feechiefen Swamp.” But what can they do? Nobody believes in feechies anymore.

When Floyd stages an elaborate plot to revive Corenwalders’ belief in the mythical swamp-dwellers known as the feechiefolk, he overshoots the mark. Floyd’s Great Feechie Scare becomes widespread panic. Eager audiences become angry mobs, and in the ensuing chaos, the Charlatan’s Boy discovers the truth that has evaded him all his life—and will change his path forever.

My Review: Rose
This was such a fun book! I just loved it!!!
This book is mostly about one of the ugliest boys in the world and feechies. It's fun trying to figure out exactly what you think a feechie is. If you like reading to your kid's, this is a perfect book. It's narrated by Grady, who is very uneducated, so his language portrays that. He uses words like, perfesser, genterman, pap, and lots of other funny phrases. It would be a riot to read this one aloud with all the voices and language!!
As most of you know, I like to look at Amazon for age categories of books, because I have a family full of little boys, some of who love to read. It has this book listed as young adult(which is great-I think young adults will like it), but I also think young readers will do well with it, too. (9 and up) Of course, as always this is totally my opinion! And this is great for both boys and girls.
This review has came at the perfect time, because this book would really make a perfect Christmas present. I plan on lending my copy out to two of my nephews, and saving it for my two little boy's collections. I also plan on reading Jonathan's other books, because I just had so much fun reading this one. I found myself laughing many times throughout the story. :) I'm also very excited that the next book in the series will be coming out next year some time. I will definitely be reading it!!
Needless to say, I highly recommend you read this or find one for your kids. :) I'm absolutely thrilled that I now have a new author to add to my list.

*I recieved this review book in connection with the Christian Science Fiction and Fantasy blog tour. I was not required to give an positive opinion.

Book link -
Author’s blog/web site - (be sure to check out the Feechie Film Festival for some fun)

Make sure to check out all the other reviews of The Charlatan's Boy!!

Sally Apokedak
Amy Bissell
Red Bissell
Jennifer Bogart
Thomas Clayton Booher
Keanan Brand
Beckie Burnham
Jeff Chapman
Christian Fiction Book Reviews
Valerie Comer
CSFF Blog Tour
D. G. D. Davidson
April Erwin
Andrea Graham
Tori Greene
Katie Hart
Bruce Hennigan
Christopher Hopper
Becky Jesse
Cris Jesse
Jason Joyner
Julie
Carol Keen
Shannon McDermott
Allen McGraw
Matt Mikalatos
Rebecca LuElla Miller
Nissa
Donita K. Paul
SarahFlan
Sarah Sawyer
Chawna Schroeder
Tammy Shelnut
Kathleen Smith
James Somers
Donna Swanson
Robert Treskillard
Fred Warren
Phyllis Wheeler
Nicole White
Elizabeth Williams
Dave Wilson

5 comments:

  1. This review has came at the perfect time, because this boy would really make a perfect Christmas present. Horrors, Tammy, I hope you aren't planning on wrapping up one of your boys to put under the tree! Heheh--I couldn't resist.

    I agree with everything you've said. I think this book is one younger readers can enjoy, especially if it's read to them. I think this is the perfect family read-aloud. I also agree that it would make a great Christmas present and this tour has given us the opportunity of telling others about it at just the right time!

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envy you...getting to dive into the Wilderking books for the first time. I read them aloud to my kids and those evenings are some of our fondest family memories. I loved reading Dobro Turtlebane's part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky- LOL... I'm going to blame it on the pregnancy! You should have seen the typos I DID catch. In my disclaimer, I put I was not required to give an HONEST opinion. I've had trouble with that line lately, and who knows if I've not caught it on some of the other reviews. And believe it or not I even proof-read! :)

    Sally- I hope to get ahold of the other series soon, especially since you liked it so much!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am your new follower. You can follow me back at http://showmemama.com. Make sure you leave a comment so I know you visited.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear such good things about this book. I'm going to have to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete