Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Nightingale by Susan May Warren



Summerside Press (November 1, 2010) 320 pages

Description:(from Amazon)
Wolfgang Jager has found himself on the wrong side of a
world war. Esther Lange is trapped inside a war of her own.
Can loving their enemies set them both free?
Wolfgang Jager grew up in Mason City, Iowa. So, what’s he
doing fighting for the Germans? If only his parents hadn’t
moved back to their native Germany when they believed
Hitler to be a hero. It’s almost a relief when he is captured
by the Americans and sent to a Wisconsin POW camp.
When the darkness turns to nightmare and Wolfgang is
accused of murder, can he stand firm in his faith - and
snatch the woman he loves out of the mouths of lions?
*Wolfgang?? Did I completely miss that part of the story or is that a misprint? Peter Hess is the only thing I recall him being called.

My Review: Lily/Rose
Ever since I saw Amber's review of Sons of Thunder, I knew I had to read one of Susan May Warren's books. So I jumped at the chance to review Nightingale and I wasn't disappointed in the least! I will admit war books are not my favorite. They're hard for me to read, and I like to escape to prairies and romance and all. The few war books I have read, though, I've enjoyed. (And I have TONS of respect for anyone having to do with the military)!
I waited to the last minute to start this one!! Thankfully, though, Nana wanted a sleep-over with my little boy, so I had more time for reading. If I hadn't liked this book so much, though, I never would have been able to read it that quick.(I know that's not that quick for most of you, but for me lately, it's a miracle!! It was so easy to fly through the story, though!
Esther and Peter's story just broke my heart. I could feel the helplessness they felt. Throughout the story, I kept telling myself that I would have ran, but I know it wouldn't have been that easy. Charlie's character somewhat confused me. I know he was an important part of the story, but I kept expecting him to actually play a bigger part in it. And I just loved little Sadie's character!(very cute name, too) :)I definitely recommend this book, especially to fans of war books! And even those who aren't. It was a great story.

*A huge thanks to Amy @ Litfuse Publicity for my review copy. I was not required to give a positive opinion.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed the book! I have a lot left to read tonight, as I'm supposed to post my review tomorrow. ;) Susan May Warren is a fabulous author, isn't she? I confess that so far this book hasn't been quite as suspenseful/engaging as Sons of Thunder, but it's still very powerful.

    And thank you for the mention! :D That's so sweet that my review stuck with you! I hope you get a chance to read Sons of Thunder sometime, as well--I know you would love it!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is a great author! I still have a book i won of hers, I think Licensed for Trouble, that I'm really looking forward to reading. I can't wait to see her writing style in a different setting. And I still hope to read Sons of Thunder sometime soon, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one on my wish list. Years ago I really enjoyed Susie's Heirs of Anton series. She does war drama well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good book. :)

    Also, hope you are having a great holiday. Stop by my Blog for a chance to win some of my favorite things! http://xsherix.blogspot.com/2010/12/sheris-favorite-things-holiday-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete