Friday, September 10, 2010

Outlive Your Life by Max Lucado



Thomas Nelson (September 14, 2010) 240 pages

Description:
These are difficult days in our world's history. 1.75 billion people are desperately poor, natural disasters are gouging entire nations, and economic uncertainty still reigns across the globe. But you and I have been given an opportunity to make a big difference. What if we did? What if we rocked the world with hope? Infiltrated all corners with God's love and life? We are created by a great God to do great works. He invites us to outlive our lives, not just in heaven, but here on earth. Let's live our lives in such a way that the world will be glad we did. (Please note: International Bloggers will receive International Edition.)

My Review:
This is probably one of my favorite books this year! It will truly light the fire under you to get involved. I love the examples Max gives and the stories. I hate to say that this is the first book that I can remember reading by Max, but I really enjoyed it!
This book also deals with some issues I feel very strongly about. When Haiti had the earthquake and there were several ways Americans were trying to raise money, it broke my heart at all the comments left on Facebook about how mad people were that we were helping another country and not taking care of our own. I wish people would think about things before they post it!! I don't for a second believe that if two starving children were standing in front of these people, one American and one not, that they would send the one from another country away starving. God loves us all the same! We all suffer and we all need each other. This book encourages you to get involved no matter who it is or where they're from. We are a very spoiled nation and noone should be suffering, as far as poverty goes. I think if we open our eyes, there's so much we could do. I include myself in that. I curl up in my own little world, because it's easier. It's easier to pretend like there's not anyone suffering, but I need to help! The saying, "Ignorance is bliss," only applies to the one that's not suffering.
This book will really make you think about your life. I always look around my house and think about how I want to change it. I want new cabinets, new paint, new vehicle. I, and most Americans, have so much more than the poverty stricken nations ever dream about.
Some of the stories and examples Max gives will bring tears to your eyes. Some will make you laugh, and some are the biggest wake up calls!
Needless to say, I highly recommend this book. The world would be such a better place if we all did SOMETHING!

*A huge thanks to Thomas Nelson Publishers for my review copy. This is my honest opinion.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't want to post on the other one, but wow! You got "SOME" response to your giveaway!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know!! I've have been quite surprised at the turnout, considering it is for Christian books. I think I read that 275 blogs were participating, so there's tons of people entering.

    ReplyDelete