Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Friend in the Storm by Cheryl Ricker



Zondervan (August 6, 2010) 96 pages

Description: (from Amazon)

Author Cheryl Ricker reaches into the depths of human suffering from the perspective of Christ speaking to the reader in soothing poetic words. This elegant gift book will reach the heart and soul of anyone facing difficult circumstances, leading them through their suffering into the arms of a faithful loving God. Each two-page spread includes a poem, as well as reflections written by Christian leaders, along with healing Scripture verses. An elegant foil-stamped fabric binding makes this the perfect gift.

My Review:

A Friend in the Storm is just what I needed right now. When I first agreed to read this book, I anticipated it being for someone with a death of a loved one, a sick friend or relative, etc. I really didn’t think it would be a book for me at the time, but it turned into thinking it was written just for me.
I have really struggled lately with my pregnancy. I have EXTREME sickness!! I’ve turned my dream of having 3 kids into only wanting 2. I don’t have energy for anything, and I‘ve been really depressed about the whole thing! I can’t imagine going through this again, and my pregnancies have not been what women dream of when they picture being pregnant. (All you single ladies, it’s not like this for everyone!! I’ve heard way more great stories than bad). :)
Unfortunately, I haven’t relied on God like I should have, and this book has reminded me to do just that. I’ve always relied heavily on God, but recently I’ve drifted away from bearing my soul to Him. I have truly been blessed and I have to look past the bad to the blessing!!
A Friend in the Storm has lots of poems, Bible verses, and quotes. It would be a perfect gift for anyone and everyone, even yourself, because we all struggle at times. I don’t think there’s a person out there who hasn’t had some type of trial in their life. This book has been a blessing to me and I’m very grateful to have had the chance to read it!!

*I recieved this book free from Litfuse Publicity in exchange for my honest opinion.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that this book was an encouragement to you, although I'm sorry you've been going through such a hard time. :( I confess that I sort of looked at this book from more of an English major perspective, so I wasn't sure how I felt about all of the poems. But I really did enjoy reading all the way through and getting to the hopeful poems at the end. :)

    Thanks for sharing your great review! Mine goes up tomorrow. :)

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww that's a beautiful cover! I'm so glad it helped you, I just love it when you're having an awful time and you can get inspiration from a book that helps you feel a just a bit better!

    Praying for you! :-)

    XOXO~ Renee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber- Yeah, my review may have been different if I looked at it from that point of view. I think it's great to have so many different kinds of reviews like that, though! :) I had saw on the schedule that yours was tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to seeing it.

    Renee- I love the cover, too. It's a very soothing color and I love the tree blowing in the wind!
    I know! Sometimes it's like God sends a special book or poem or song your way during certain times. :)

    And thank you so much to everyone who has been praying for me. It is GREATLY appreciated!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this book sounds like a much needed read for you and i have to include myself. to sit down reflect and pray for guidence and stregth. thanks rose

    ReplyDelete
  5. I posted my review of A Friend in the Storm yesterday, if you wanted to check it out. ;)

    And I have a blog award for you here:

    http://seasonsofhumility.blogspot.com/2010/10/snail-mail-sunshine-and-blog-award.html

    Thank you for having such a great blog, and thank you for your friendship!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post!!

    I'm delighted "A Friend in the Storm" is an inspiration and that it's helping you rely on God.

    I had an absolutely terrible pregnancy as well ~ actually two of them, so I'm most empathetic about your disappointment.

    I'll be sure to pray for you!

    Hold tight to your Friend in the Storm. He has great plans for your children!

    Bless you!

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm excited you got to heart the heartbeat...one of the neatest parts!!

    I so know what you mean though with the difficult pregnancies. Its so hard the second time to get rest. I hope your son still naps so you can get a bit of rest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much everyone!! I'm so behind on all my blogging!! :P
    I greatly appreciate the prayers!!
    And thank you, Amber, for the award. I love it! :)
    And Cheryl and Julia, I hate that y'all had to go through the rough pregnancies as well. it is so much harder the second time, but my husband has been really sweet! Even with his busy schedule, he's did most the cleaning the past few weeks and let me rest. I've felt pretty good today, so I'm trying to do some catching up! :) It SEEMS like maybe the worst part is over. I'm 10 weeks today, so that's awesome. I was still sick a couple of more months with my first one, without breaks in sickness, so I'm blessed with that!
    Thanks again, everyone!!

    ReplyDelete