Thursday, September 16, 2010

Coffee Shop Conversations by Dale and Jonalyn Fischer



Zondervan; (April 13, 2010) 240 pages (Click here for Amazon page)

My Review:
Coffee Shop Conversations is a wonderful book that teaches you how to talk to others about God. I’ve saw too many times others trying to bring people to Christ by being pushy and it never works. I’ve heard of a Christian telling someone else that they are going to Hell if they don’t do this or that. That breaks my heart, because unless a child is involved, I’ve never heard of that approach working. Dale and Jonalyn teach you how to talk to others and accept them no matter what beliefs they have. It doesn’t matter if they are Wiccan, Buddhist, or any other religion, they want to be respected just like Christians do. God made us all with the ability to make out own decisions, and form our own views, and I think the world is a beautiful place!

Dale and Jonalyn also teach you how to read the Bible. They show how too often we take Bible verses out of context. I know we’re all probably guilty of that. They give examples and stories throughout the book.

I want to mention that Coffee Shop Conversations is narrated by both Dale and Jonalyn, but if one of them is talking, their name is put in () beside the word “I”. They even tell you this at the first of the book, but it still somewhat confused me at first. I quickly caught on, though.
I also want to point out that I don’t agree with everything in the book, as far as religious views and all. I still really recommend this book, though.




Meet the authors of Coffee Shop Conversations, Jonalyn and Dale Fincher.

Dale Fincher and Jonalyn Fincher speak and write nationally as a husband-wife team through Soulation, a non-profit dedicated to helping others be appropriately human. They are energetic and experienced public speakers, and their previous books include Living with Questions and Ruby Slippers. They make their home in Steamboat, Colorado, with corgis, snowshoes and a colorful library of books.

Learn more about Jonalyn and Dale at http://soulation.org/.

Be sure to check out all the other review for Coffee Shop Conversations. Click here for a complete list.

*Thanks to the publisher for my review copy. This is my honest opinion.

TWO WINNERS WILL RECEIVE $25 GIFT CERTIFICATES TO STARBUCKS!

1) Leave a comment on the tour post to be entered into a drawing for a $25 Starbucks Gift Certificate.

2) For up to two additional entries, follow the Finchers on Twitter (http://twitter.com/soulation) AND/OR tweet about this contest using the hashtag #soulation. Let us know you did in the comments of the tour post*.
3) For another entry, "like" the Finchers on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/soulation) and tell us in the comments in the tour post*.

*Please note the contest is AT THE TOUR POST, NOT MY POST. :)

3 comments:

  1. I apologize for leaving a random comment, but I just wanted to let you know that I have a blog award for you:

    http://seasonsofhumility.blogspot.com/2010/09/change-in-seasons-and-blog-awards.html

    Talk to you soon! :)

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like an excellent book! I've never been pushy about sharing Christ; my problem is I lose out on opportunities to share the gospel because I don't know when to speak up, and I tend to be on the shy side about my faith. Something I definitely need to work on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. back to blog posting and reading after having company. i agree that people get turned off if a person preaches to them about church and God. Sounds like this book could be helpful. thanks rose

    ReplyDelete