Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Intercessors Arise by Debbie Przybylski



NavPress (March 15, 2008) 224 pages

Description: (from Navpress)
Intercessory prayer connects God’s power with the needs around us. This type of prayer needs to be cultivated with passion and discipline.

Using teachings that build on each preceding concept, author Debbie Przybylski shares how to expectantly and purposefully wait on God and identifies the obstacles that keep us from drawing close to His heart.

My Review:
This is a wonderful book to help inspire and encourage your prayer life! Debbie gives lots of examples of people and how prayer helped them. She also has Bible verses and examples of prayers that you can say. She ends each chapter with a personal application, where she gives you Bible passages to read, questions, challenges, and just ways to put the chapter into practice.

There’s probably not anyone who agrees 100 % with another person, so like all books, there’s some things I don’t necessarily agree with, but it’s still a wonderful tool to have.

There’s one passage about how we have to listen to God and really understand what He is saying. I couldn’t help but laugh because it was so funny. She tells of a translator interpreting for an American.
The American said, “What happened was so funny that it tickled me to death!” The translator asked him to repeat himself several times, and then hesitantly translated, “ It was so funny that I scratched myself until I died.”

I think this book is set up to be a chapter a week Bible study, and there’s even exercises that require multiple people, like a church class. This would still be great for an individual study. For me, I like it as a chapter every 2 to 3 days. That gives time to answer the questions honestly and really soak in the information. For review purposes, I read it a bit quicker than that this time.

There’s lots of great advice in Intercessors Arise. If you need a prayer boost, you would definitely benefit from this book. Every time I picked it up, I started singing, “Soldiers of Christ Arise.”

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from NavPress Publishers as part of their Blogger Review Program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commision's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

7 comments:

  1. This sounds great. I love the NavPress program, I have been so blessed by their books and they are very nice to bloggers :).

    I really appreciate the shoutouts that you give for other's giveaways. What a nice thing to do, Bluerose. I think its so neat that you do that.

    It seems like all I do lately is post up a quick review on my blog. Something I need to remedy as I like my blog to be real life not just books. It seems like homeschooling takes up a lot of my time this season.

    I just saw all the links you have for weight loss. I need to look at those as I'm trying to find more low-cholesterol recipes. Its a new way of cooking for me and I didn't even realize what some of my "culprits" were. Anyway, this was a lot of rambling for a comment on a blog :).

    Blessings on your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Navpress, too! I agree, they are very sweet. This past time, I ordered they sent me two books, and I thought it was great. :) I've gotten great encouragement from their books.

    I only have one right now, so it's easier to do other stuff when he's "busy" playing. I know that when our second one gets here, my reading time and just time in general will be drastically cut. And then when it's time for homeschooling, I know I won't have much time at all. So you're doing great with all you have on your hands!! I've really enjoyed your blog. It's been very inspiring!!
    I found a really cute Bible "homeschool" program for toddlers that I think I'm going to start practicing with, just to get in a routine and test things out before the actual time comes.

    My culprit is sugar!! If I didn't eat sugar, I'd be skinny. :) That picture of me is from a few years ago, so I've got more weight on me, now. :( I couldn't find a decent picture of me, and I'm always behind the camera, so I figured maybe that would inspire me to lose some weight. Now I'll have to wait a few months before I tackle that project, though. :)
    I've actually found a couple more great weight blogs, but I keep forgetting to post those.

    Blessings to you, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that's so true. I didn't realize how hectic my schedule would get with homeschooling. We did Pre-K last year, but this year is lots of learning reading and writing. Frustrating for her at times. What program are you going to use? I was thinking about starting one with my two-year-old so let me know if you like it...mostly just because he sees "sissy do school."

    Yes, my culprit is sugar. I'm not overweight (although my body is definitely not as I would like after birthing 2 kids ;)...but my cholesterol is high.

    I'm getting hints that you're expecting?? I hope so :). The second time around is busy but its so neat to watch them interact :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's the link to the main schedule of the plan I want to use.

    http://www.pammshouse.com/toddlers.html#todbib

    There's lots of more detailed links from there. I like that she has a "theme" each month with a Bible story, color, number, etc. and everything revolves around that. There's some activities that are still a little advanced for Holden, so I'm swapping some of them. And I don't have the Bible she has, so I'm just searching for a simple story to go with the story she uses. But she gives lots of great websites with her links.
    Oh, to get a printable version you have to pay, so I just look at it as I go, so it's completely free.

    And yes, I am expecting! :) I'm really excited, and thanks to your fear post, I'm trying not to be scared. I'm really looking forward to Holden having a playmate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!!! How exciting!!! I will keep you in prayer, Tammy. When are you due?

    Thanks for the link. I'll definitely take some time to peruse these. Looks like a good way to introduce "school".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much, Julia!! I've been requesting all the prayers I can get. I'm only around 6 weeks. We thought about waiting to tell, but we figured we could use all the prayers we could get! :)

    I had did a lot of searching and this was the closest program to what I wanted. It seemed fun and educational. My little boy is still only saying about 3 words, so i'm trying to do what I can to help that along! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW, I thought you might be interested in this. Crossway has a homeschool bloggers program. You might be able to do it even though your kids are younger. Every few months they send you a book, great family stuff. I just got a kid's book about church history and I think I'm going to incorporate some of it into Liz's homeschool.

    I'll keep praying, too :)

    ReplyDelete