Friday, August 6, 2010

House of Dark Shadows by Robert Liparulo




Thomas Nelson (May 6, 2008) 304 pages

Description:(from book)
Dream house . . . or bad dream? When the Kings move from L.A. to a secluded small town, fifteen-year-old Xander is beyond disappointed. He and his friends loved to create amateur films . . . but the tiny town of Pinedale is the last place a movie buff and future filmmaker wants to land. But he, David, and Toria are captivated by the many rooms in the old Victorian fixer-upper they moved into--as well as the heavy woods surrounding the house. They soon discover there's something odd about the house. Sounds come from the wrong directions. Prints of giant, bare feet appear in the dust. And when David tries to hide in the linen closet, he winds up in locker 119 at his new school. Then the really weird stuff kicks in: they find a hidden hallway with portals leading off to far-off places--in long-ago times. Xander is starting to wonder if this kind of travel is a teen's dream come true . . . or his worst nightmare.

My Review:
This book really creeped me out! I did read most of it while my husband was gone and my little boy was asleep. It was storming pretty bad, and me and puppy dog are terrified of storms! So that setting may have contributed to the creepy factor.
The ending is a major cliffhanger, so I strongly recommend having the next one lined up. I don't, so now I have to wait. I will read the next one outside in the daytime. I don't think I'll be so creeped out that way. (I do want to make note that I read a lot of paranormal books, and there's only been one other book this year, that I remember, that creeped me out. That was The Lovely Bones). Some of you would probably read this and not be phased at all, but I do get creeped out pretty easily, contrary to my last sentence. :)
I stayed on the edge of my seat throughout this book, waiting to see what happened next. You're still left with a lot of secrets and unanswered questions at the end. I so wish I had the next one!!
This is a Christian book, but there's nothing Christian mentioned at all. So you will enjoy House of Dark Shadows, even if you don't like religious books. It's perfectly clean, though. I'd be careful with this book as far as young readers, though. I think it will scare them.

4 comments:

  1. Bluerose,

    First of all, cute new design! :D Love all of the pictures and the border!

    Second, thanks for the review. :) I think I'll probably stay away from this one, because I get scared/creeped out pretty easily. ;)

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read the series with my family. The books get better and better through the series. Great stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I think I'm hooked! I'll just have to be spooked for a little while! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Im a nee follower. I have been thinking about getting this book the last few days. Im not a huge paranormal fan although im reading Travis Thrashers Ghostwritter right now which has decidedly taken a turn for the paranormal. I usually do the christian thriller/mystery type. I also enjoy historical romance. I blog about books too. I would love for you to stop by and say hi.

    ReplyDelete