Saturday, August 14, 2010

Forgotten: Seventeen and Homeless by Melody Carlson




NavPress (August 1, 2010) 208 pages

Description:(from Amazon)
With absent parents, overdue rent, and no one to turn to, Adele is forced into the hard, cold world of homelessness. While striving to maintain the pretense of a “normal” life, Adele attempts to finish high school, all the while concealing her secret. But is she strong enough to keep up the act?
Forgotten will propel teen readers into a world where promises are broken, life is not fair, and challenges seem unbearable, while still offering assurance that solid faith, loyal friends, and a persistent spirit will prevail.

My Review:
It never seems to stop amazing me at the childishness and selfishness of some parents. I think this story could be told by entirely too many teens. Although, I do think that Adele’s story was very calm in comparison to what happens for many homeless people. This story only gives you a glimpse of what homelessness is like, although I’ve never been without a home and pray I never experience that hardship. This observation is purely from other books and documentaries. It was still heartbreaking to read Forgotten. It really teaches you to not be so judgemental of others. We should be more accepting of each other.
It made me thankful for my parents!! I’m so grateful to my parents that I never had to worry about if I would get a meal. I can’t imagine what that is like.
The only issue I had was the ending. It was somewhat rushed and we never learn what happens with the parents. It’s still a book I recommend, especially to teens. There’s lots of great messages that can be taken away.

* I received this book free from NavPress Publishers as part of their Blogger Review Program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

2 comments:

  1. I felt the same way you did about the ending, I thought it was rushed and left a few unanswered questions, the ending seemed kind of unrealisitic to me as well. Overall I agree it is a book worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is only the second Think book i've read from Navpress, but the other one left a lot unanswered too. It was pretty much create your own ending. They've both had great messages, though.

    ReplyDelete