Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Owl Keeper by Christine Brodien-Jones




Delacorte Books for Young Readers (April 13, 2010) 320 pages

Description:(from borders.com)
Maxwell Unger loved the stories his gran told him about the world before the Destruction--about nature, and books, and the silver owls. In times of darkness, the Owl Keeper would appear to unite owls and sages against the power of the dark. The time of the Owl Keeper is coming soon. Illustrations.

from Amazon)
Allergic to sun particles, Max Unger is forced to stay inside during the day with his caregiver, Mrs. Crumlin. He loves the night, since it has pleasant memories of his beloved grandmother, so he sneaks out and visits a silver owl and his new friend, a spirited girl named Rose. He knows that if he is caught he will be in trouble, for silver owls are evil in the eyes of the High Echelon. When Max discovers that Mrs. Crumlin and the High Echelon are preparing him for a sinister job, he makes a daring escape, taking Rose with him. The two follow the words of "the Silver Prophesy" to find the Owl Keeper and hopefully destroy the evil High Echelon for good.


My Review:
I just adored this story!! It’s very clean and appropriate for all ages. A great thing about this book is, it’s great for boys, too. Sometimes it seems like there’s more options for girls to read.
I loved that the author was able to “sneak in” little bits of educational facts into the story. I don’t know if she did this intentionally, but I think it was great. Max, the main character, maintains respect for the adults through the whole story, even when they didn’t necessarily deserve it.
The Owl Keeper is targeted for ages 9-11, but as an adult I hung onto every word. I just couldn’t wait to see what happened. It’s a very adventurous book, and I think you would enjoy it no matter what age or gender. I think the story was set up to be a series, but I don’t know that. I hope there’s more!

*Thanks to the author for my copy of this book that I won @ Books On The House.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the review. i may be wrong but it does seem there are more books for girls vs. boys. thanks for your comment on my blog re reincarnation. i don't nec. believe in it just putting out fotr discusion. a bird. seems the only thing i could think about. have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete