Saturday, June 5, 2010

My Review: Love on a Dime by Cara Lynn James



Thomas Nelson (June 1, 2010)

Description:
Turn of the century novelist Lilly Westbrook learns that being faithful to her calling means more than just putting pen to paper.

It's the summer of 1899 in Newport, Rhode Island, and Lilly Westbrook is struggling to conceal her career from family and friends because of the stigma attached to dime novels. Lilly feels good about her secret—after all, she’s enlightening working class girls with her books and honoring God by using her talents to His glory.

But her secret is threatened when Jackson Grail, a former suitor, becomes Lilly's new publisher. He's determined to revive his floundering publishing house by maximizing their most promising--and most secretive--author. His plan? Find “Fannie Cole” and convince her to go public.

When a gossip columnist discovers Lilly’s true identity, she finds that being faithful to her calling involves more than just putting pen to paper. It requires that she stand up for her faith and for herself, no matter the consequences.

My Review:
Sometimes I really want to read a simple, sweet story, and Love on a Dime is just that. The love portrayed isn’t overly passionate. It is very subdued, but still sweet.
It was an inspiring story. Lillian and Jackson both look to God to help with their problems, and the Christian Settlement House makes you question if you really need everything you have. It makes you want to help the needy. It’s great to read a book that inspires you in more than one way! I will admit I would have liked to have seen more of the Christian Settlement House. It shows up at the beginning of the story, and I thought it would play a much bigger role. Hopefully it will show up more throughout the rest of the series.
There’s many characters that you learn to greatly dislike and many you learn to love, although I wasn‘t as drawn to the characters as much as I would have liked. I didn’t think I would like Vanessa as much as I did! It was still a great book, and I’m excited to read more by Cara Lynn James, especially the rest of the Ladies of Summerhill Series!

*I received this copy from Thomas Nelson Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment