Wednesday, June 2, 2010

My Review: Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr



HarperCollins(March 31, 2009)Young Adult Fiction

Description: (From Booklist)
Newcomers and returning readers alike will devour this companion novel to Marr's ragingly popular Wicked Lovely (2007). The new peace between the Summer King and the Winter Queen isn’t good for everyone: those of the Dark Court, who feed on faeries’ destructive emotions, are dangerously weakened. Irial, King of the Dark Court, needs a solution, and he finds one in the Summer Queen’s mortal friend Leslie. Tormented by memories of abuse, Leslie wants nothing more than to reclaim her body by getting a tattoo, but the enchanted design she selects provides Irial with a direct link to mortals’ emotions. The tattoo binds Leslie and Irial together even as a third faerie works to prevent their destructive yet seductive connection. All of Marr’s characters are complex, defying easy description and evoking sympathy and horror in equal measures, and all cast a thrall that will leave readers willing to forgive plotting that can be difficult to follow. This dark fantasy about survival and transformation is as mesmerizing as its urban faery subjects.

My Review: I liked this book much better than the first book, Wicked Lovely. I didn't hate the first one, but I really didn't have plans to read this one. I decided last minute to give this one a try. All the different types of faeries do get confusing to me, though. The relationship between Irial and Niall also confuses me. I'm guessing that it would take reading this one again to understand it a little more. It's a very unique story!
I will say that it bugged me that the author repeatedly said gods as if she was trying to make a point. (Almost like she went out of her way to include it- for example, "Oh, my gods!", "No. Gods no!" and many more!
Many of the same characters were in this story from the first one. They have much smaller roles, but they're still there.

Parental Concerns: There is some profanity, and reference to a rape that happened to the main character before the story begins. (no details)There is also drug use by Leslie's brother and friends.

1 comment:

  1. This is one author whose books I've been wanting to read! I'm so glad to hear they're worth it! Thank you for the review!

    XOXO~ Renee

    ReplyDelete