Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My Review: Girls That Growl by Mari Mancusi



Berkley Trade(October 7, 2007) Young Adult

Description: (from Borders.com)
Third in Mancusi's hip, sassy vampire series, featuring the heroine of Stake That! She's a vampire. She's also a vampire slayer. (It's a long story.) And now Rayne McDonald, Goth girl, has to carry out her most deviant mission yet: trying out for the cheerleading squad. Rayne already has enough on her plate: her twin keeps whining about whether or not to go all the way; her mom's boyfriend is moving in; and her man, Jareth, who's now allowed out in the sun, has turned from a dark, brooding hottie vamp into a surfer dude. But this vampire slayer is still on the clock, and she has a new assignment. A member of the football team has disappeared-and her bosses at Slayer Inc. think the cheerleaders had something to do with it. Now they want her to infiltrate the squad and get the dirt. But first, she'll need an extreme prep makeover. If only they'd let her wear fishnets under that revolting uniform.

My Review:
The narrator talks like she’s walking thru the mall with her best friend, which I find annoying at times. We’re all different, though, and this may be what makes you really like this book.
While the plot was decent and kept me entertained, it wasn’t my favorite read. It’s a short book, so you can probably get thru this in a few hours. I found it somewhat interesting that the author seemed to be sending good messages throughout the book, but then at one point Rayne start smoking, claiming she wanted to look like a “sexy, bad girl”. I don’t think that is a good message! At some points, it even seems like a vampire/werewolf after school special. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing.
There was also a character that has a cutting problem. Once again, the author seemed to be trying to address this in a helpful way(as far as anyone reading the book with that problem). I respect that, because it is a disease I think is overlooked many times. It’s not addressed as much as other teen issues. At the same time, it seemed thrown in there completely off the wall, and didn’t fit in with the rest of the book.
It’s possible I would have liked this book more if I had read the first two. I’m sure I would have connected with the characters a lot more. From what I could tell, though, this book fills you in on the major “happenings” of the first two, so you’re not completely lost as to what is going on.
I really like this section(minus the cuss word!), because this is true with a lot of relationships. It made me really think about how I act. I hope this doesn’t give anything away.
Somebody is about to break up with another person, and then this conversation begins:
““Maybe it’s because when I’m nice to you, you’re a total ***** back to me. When I worry about you, you accuse me of smothering you. When I’m happy and having fun you get annoyed. You’re only sweet to me when you want something or it suits your mood.” I stare at my feet, wanting to protest, wanting to defend myself, but having no idea how to do it. Because , I realize, every last thing he said is true. Why would he want me as a blood mate? I don’t think I’d want myself.”
This was sort of a wake up call for me.
Overall, I didn’t think this book was a waste of time and it was interesting with a slightly different take on vampires, but I think it would have been better if it was longer, and the scenes didn’t end so quickly. It leaves an opening for the next book.

Parental concerns: Profanity, talking about losing virginity, but no details, drinking, smoking

No comments:

Post a Comment