Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A Constant Heart by Siri Mitchell



Bethany House (October 1, 2008)Christian Fiction
Marget has trained to be a countess for twelve years, and her chance has come to put into practice all she has learned. She is to be married to the Earl of Lytham, who is a courtier to Queen Elizabeth. Marget saves her best friend, Joan, from an unwanted marriage and brings her to be a maid.
Lytham’s first marriage was annulled due to infidelity, so he automatically distrusts Marget, and acts as if he hates her. When Lytham brings her to meet the Queen, she is so jealous of her beauty that she calls Marget a gypsy. The story tells of how Marget tries to win the favor of her husband, the Queen, and the other ladies of the court.
Positives: I never liked history in school, but I love learning it through books. I was constantly looking up things and words I hadn’t heard before, so I learned a great deal from this book! That is always a positive for me. It was a very interesting read. I’m so glad not to have lived in this time period, and have been a wife that couldn’t be loved. It would have been horrible to watch my husband show so much affection and attention to another woman, and work so hard for exactly that to happen.
Negatives: I was expecting more of a story with Joan. I thought as the story went along, more of her life would be revealed. She’s there through the whole story, but through the middle, she’s just more of a side note. I was also hoping for more at the end. It left me wanting to know more, but I guess a lot is implied.
I definitely recommend this book. (I know all you other bloggers have already read this book. I’m reading it late)!

2 comments:

  1. Siri is such a great author. I can't wait to read She Walks in Beauty. That one looks fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im really looking forward to reading it!:)

    ReplyDelete